How Does Scripture Support Goal Setting?
Scripture supports goal setting…
Proverbs 16:3 “Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.”
Proverbs 16:9 “In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps.”
Isaiah 32:8 “But the noble make noble plans, and by noble deeds they stand.”
Philippians 3:13-14 “Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”
Be Made Anew
I know we are only truly made anew in Christ, but I think we can participate ourselves toward a purposeful, Christ-centered life with a few goals of our own.
Here is a quick exercise to get you started:
- Think about what the year would look like on December 31, if it was the year you wish to have. Write it down in narrative form.
- Pick out the goals or the areas of change or accomplishment. I would have started and been in community with an incredible small group at my church doing life together. We would be working across the country online in addition to our local community.
- Add metrics to it. I want to be in a couples group with 3-4 other couples. I want to grow my email list to 3,000 names.
- Break it down into milestones or steps. I hope to start my small group by April 1. I want to have at least 1,000 names on my email list by June 1.
- Tell people about it. Research shows that sharing your goals with others adds accountability and perseverance.
I know this is just a simple exercise, but trust me, there is every size and shape of goal setting plans available from others…..just google it!
Ultimately, the most important step in goal setting is to bring them to the Lord, pray about them, ask the Lord to work in you, and pray for His will to be done!